I have been a wife and mother for over twenty years. Now I am becoming my husband's lover, too.
We owe it all to my fellow bloggers who gave me the courage to come out to my husband as a spanko.
I do feel like this is a New Beginning for us.

You must be 18 to view this site.

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Family loss

I’ve always been very close to my dad’s family. There were eight children, seven boys and one girl. I have twenty-four cousins and since Grandmother lived close to us I got to know all those cousins pretty well. Dad’s was the generation who grew up during the depression and fought in WWII. All of them served in the military and to my amusement, the one girl outranked all her brothers!

I always enjoyed listening to that generation. They told great stories, some were even true. They were all interesting and funny and got along amazingly well.  Once years ago, we cousins got together to make sure each of them got the same tee-shirt for Christmas. It read, “Often wrong, but never in doubt!” This was them for sure, but they were always good natured as they set out to prove one point or another.

 One of the worst things about getting older has been losing members of this greatest generation. But one by one we did. Two were left, one is ninety-three and in a nursing home. He’s not doing well and the other, the baby of the family at eighty-three, a practicing doctor. To the shock of us all we lost this youngest uncle last week. 

He and his wife were on a Disney Cruise when it happened. He’d taking a snorkeling excursion. He was an excellent swimmer. When everyone gathered to head back, he wasn’t among them. He was found by another boat who got him aboard and preformed CPR, but it was too late. 

He was a great and interesting man. He traveled the world, he and his wife went on many mission trips with their church, he traveled to Italy to see the Shroud of Turin. He was a skilled surgeon for many years and as those skills diminished he turned to pain management and wound care. I’m grateful he didn’t have to end his life infirmed and in pain, but I just feel like he wasn’t finished. I know there was more he wanted to do. He was a man of many talents and he’s going to be sorely missed.

25 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry for your loss, PK ... big families are wonderful and it sounds like your uncles, aunties and cousins were/are an important part of your life ... hugs ... nj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so blessed with this family. Mom's family had 7 kids but only 7 grandkids. I was the youngest and two of my first cousins are now approaching 90.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss PK. I think it's wonderful you had such a large and close family and your uncle sounds as though he was a wonderful man of many talents who lived a very full life.

    My thoughts are with you and your family.

    (((hugs)))
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. I love that we were all so close.

      Delete
  3. Oh PK, I am so sorry for your loss, he sounds like an amazing man.hugs
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really was pretty special.

      Delete
  4. He must have lived an amazing life. So sorry for your loss.

    Love and hugs,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a great doctor. I know he'll be remembered a long time for that.

      Delete
  5. So sorry for your loss PK. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindy, it's nice to know others are thinking of us.

      Delete
  6. PK, you did a beautiful job of writing a eulogy for such a special man. I really encourage you to share it with his family. It would mean a lot to them. Sorry for you loss, my friend.

    Hugs From Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, Ella. I might sometime.

      Delete
  7. My condolences on your loss, PK. It’s sad to hear of a life cut short in such circumstances.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time I would definitely have said 83 was old - but it didn't seem like that with him.

      Delete
  8. PK, I am sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers through this difficult time. Thank you for sharing about your uncle and his amazing life. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I wish we could get his body home. That would definitely start the healing.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:33 AM

    PK,
    I am envious of your large family. I love those old stories and agree, that some of them just might be true. Tresure those memories at this time of sorrow.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seem like all the cousins love sitting around listening to all those stories. Except for the youngest two, which were his two.

      Delete
  10. Oh I am so sorry....both my parents came from large families...there is one brother left on each side...we made so many wonderful memories...hugs and prayers...abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't see those wonderfully large families these days. None of the aunts and uncles on mom's side left and now one on Daddy's.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous7:19 PM

    PK,

    I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like your uncle was a wonderful man. Those wonderful memories will warm your heart....SueB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was really great. It won't be long before the cousins will be the older generation.

      Delete
  12. Dear PK, I am so sorry to hear about your uncle! How sad for you all. He sounds like he was a well loved, accomplished and fun person too. Big hugs and love,

    ❤️Katie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m sorry I am late to see this one. My condolences to you and your family. It sounds like your uncle lived a full and still very active life right up to the end, may we all be so lucky. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Condolences PK. Somehow I missed this post.

    Although the loss is terrible it should give you peace to know that he had a life well lived and and helped many to live longer lives too. RIP and thank you for your service to mankind, both in the war and afterward.

    ReplyDelete